Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Let it begin!

Hey everyone!

My name is Andrew Costa, I’m a 4th year setter on the UNB Men’s volleyball team from Summerside, PEI. I wear the #3 on my jersey because it’s been the only number I’ve ever worn since grade 7. I am studying mechanical engineering and a business diploma in school so my schedule is usually pretty jam packed. When I’m not on the court, you can usually find me in Head Hall with my face in the books.

As some of you may know, last year our UNB team captured its first Atlantic Championship banner since 1979, defeating the Dalhousie Tigers and dethroning them from their 24-year consecutive run. Three members of our last year’s roster graduated after the season; Jacob Kilpatrick, Tyler Veenhuis & JP DeVink. Although Jacob actually continued his volleyball career and is currently training with the Canadian Men’s National Team in Gatineau, Quebec. Needless to say however, coming into this season, the expectations for our team were higher than ever! Finishing up our first semester regular season in late November, we’ve found ourselves with a 5-3 record. Currently sitting us in first place in the AUS!

I hope all of you had an awesome Christmas break with your families and friends, I certainly did! This Christmas our coach, Dan McMorran, decided to give us a bit larger of a break home with our families then past years. We didn’t have to arrive back in Fredericton until December 30th for training camp! After going hard for the past 2 weeks, all the fellas look well rested and seem fired up to start the second semester! We leave this Friday morning and travel to Newfoundland to compete against MUN in a double header action weekend, two huge matches to start off our 2nd semester campaign!

Each week, we’re going to introduce you to a new member of our team. To start off, I thought it’d only be fair to introduce you to one of our only 2 fifth year players, John Sheehan (#14). Standing at 6 foot 8 inches, Sheehan is a force to be reckoned with as a middle blocker! He has earned his respect throughout his career at UNB and is presently leading the AUS in the hitting percentage category in his final season. John is also working towards a business degree in school. I got a chance to sit down and talk to John and ask him a few questions, here’s some fun facts about the big guy!

Q: Why did you choose to come to UNB?
A: I chose UNB because I’m originally from Fredericton (New Maryland) and I wanted to stay close to my family and friends.

Q: Who is your favorite pro athlete?
A: Michael Vick, QB for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Q: What is your goal in your final season as a Varsity Red?
A: I want our team to repeat our performance last spring and capture our 2nd consecutive AUS championship, travel to the CIS championships at Queens, and win our first match at the nationals.

Thanks for checking out my blog! Keep checking it out weekly as teammate Logan Keoughan and I keep you posted throughout the rest of the semester. Cheers everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment